- e-Readers & iPad
- writing software
This post is about the digital tools I use in my “writer’s life”: a life that includes creative and technical writing. I think it’s helpful to share the tools that work with others, which spreads the empowerment potential of the technology in this global, wired village we share. In fact, I am writing this on my Apple MacBook Pro 15″ retina display. This is my favorite Apple Mac notebook computer and I’ve owned a lot of Macs over the years. For me, it’s the perfect melding of what I loved about it’s predecessor MBP and the MacBook Air’s thinner, more elegant form factor which is computing, design genius. And this MacBook Pro retina is fast as hell! I’m not going to bore you with it’s technical specs. there are plenty of other websites to visit if that’s what you’re after, not the least of which would be Apple.com.
As a writer I’m constantly taking notes, and I use Apple’s NOTES which syncs automatically via their iCloud service across my MacBook Pro retina, iPhone 5 and iPad mini, seamlessly. I find myself in a writer’s note-taking nirvana thanks to Apple, Inc. Everything available across my three, go-to Apple devices whenever I pick one of them up to either add to a note or create a new one. In the latter, the new note is automatically placed on my other two Apple devices via my Apple iCloud account in the background. It all just works, it does what it’s supposed to do which means I have things backed up across multiple Apple devices and a set of external, portable hard drives (more on that later).
I’m really trying to not delve into tech. specs. that’ll put us all to sleep. I’m trying to keep the focus on how these devices and software elevate my writing and inspire further creativity. Granted, this is my experience but I’ve seen time and again what people create when they sit or stand with a Mac, iPhone and iPad or iPad mini. I know, I’m sounding like so many other Apple fanboys but this goes far beyond the implications of that derisive phrase. Note taking is a writer’s life blood and Apple’s solutions work for me. If you’re already using a Mac there is really no reason not check it out or revisit it, whatever the case may be. Enough said.
My Apple devices disappear into the creativity and that is the core essence of their utility and beauty. Which speaks to why Apple gets it right far more often than they get it wrong. I love that I can take all different types of notes on my iPhone and iPad mini: typed, voice, photos. and HD video clips. It’s so seamless being able to capture all of those different media all in either device in “the moment”. No other company has really successfully copied what Apple is doing. The ease of use and elegance of their integration of software, hardware and services really has no rival. Long ago the Windows PC side of things decided to go with the commodity, licensing model and it’s not usually useful having that many “thumbs in the pie”. Granted, it’s all about “outcomes” but how long should it take to get there? The Apple haters love to cry, “walled garden” but I’ll take my Apple walled garden over the alternatives.
I think it is a good idea to have the cellular option available on your iPad. A couple of times when my power has gone out I was able to periodically check email (and stay in touch with clients) all thanks to the cellular option on my iPad. My reasons for AT&T Wireless are two-fold: 1) longtime, very, very happy customer and 2) I like to travel internationally and more often than not my iPhone and my iPad work. You always want to do your homework before you leave home. NEVER ASSUME, do your research before you leave home. I need to stay connected, so I always research the country I’m visiting to make sure I’m setup with cellular internet access as backup in the event the hotel’s / resort’s internet service is down. Internationally AT&T Wireless opens far more doors than it closes.
So much of this has to do with having the tool / device immediately at the ready, and it working seamlessly “in the moment”. Every time. Those little idea pearls grow into stories which is why we need to capture, protect and archive them. Like I said, nirvana. Which brings us to the intersection of hardware and software. I always keep my Mac OS software and Intego VirusBarrier software and definitions updated. Everyone needs to keep their OS, virus and malware protection updated. This is critical, can’t stress this enough!
Now, let me tell you about my Go-To writing software. It’s original name is Dramatica Pro but with this new and improved software they have renamed it, Dramatica Story Expert. The thing I love most about Dramatica is that I can come to it with any kernel of inspiration. It does not matter what the “it” is, I launch Dramatica and these days, Dramatica Story Expert and I’m off. I sit and move through the software, answering questions, and skipping the ones I don’t have answers for yet. It creates an environment where I can let the idea hatch and grow organically while capturing any bits of magic and story structure I’ve manifested along the way. I have embedded a video below that shows you “story forming” in the story guide area of Dramatica Story Expert. I have used Dramatic for years and I really can’t imagine developing my story ideas without it. With it’s newest iteration Dramatica Story Expert they’ve made it even more intuitive and powerful. Best $160.00 you’ll spend and it’ll come back to you in Spades in your creative writing.
I began writing the novel I’m working on in Dramatica Pro and I was able to import the original D.P. file right into Dramatica Story Expert without any issues. Fantastically happy the day that happened. I have tried other writing software, too many to bother with here, and none of them came close to what the Dramatica story engine can do. Visit the Screenplaydotcom YouTube channel for more video tutorials. When I’m more productive that fosters / bolsters my creativity and with Dramatica I’ve yet to be dissappointed. You should always explore and discover what tools work for you and then go for it. What are you waiting for?
Now, to keep the legal eagles happy, and in the spirit of full disclosure there are links populating this article that may generate what is called a marketing affiliate commission for Briefly-noted.co in the bg. I’m not shilling for any companies these are the writing tools I use and believe in. These affiliate commissions help to offset the costs associated with the maintenance and marketing of Briefly-noted.co. Happy writing and reading.
- Apple cuts MacBook Pro price, updates processors
- Apple drops MacBook Pro Retina prices, boosts specs
- Apple’s MacBook Pro with Retina Display tops over 18 other notebooks in battery life tests
Tagged with: Apple Inc • Cloud storage • Computer hardware • Computing • creative writing • Dramatica Pro • Dramatica Story Expert • Dramatica Story Expert video • fiction • IOS • iPad • iPad mini • iPad mini Wi-Fi + cellular • IPhone • iPhone 5 • ITunes • Mac OS • MacBook Pro • MacBook Pro retina • Macintosh • Multi-touch • novel writing • post PC device • Smartphones • Steve Jobs • Technology/Internet • writer's platform • writing • writing software • writing tools
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
- Sully - Captain Chesley B. Sullenberger, III & Jeffrey ZaslowNow a major motion picture from Clint Eastwood, starring Tom Hanks On January 15, 2009, the world witnessed a remarkable emergency landing when Captain “Sully” Sullenberger skillfully glided US Airways Flight 1549 onto the Hudson River, saving the lives of all 155 passengers and crew. His cool actions not only averted tragedy, but made him […]iTunes Store
- Someone Will Be with You Shortly - Lisa Kogan“[Kogan’s] wry observations of everyday life will hearten you on your worst days, validate you on your best, and make you laugh any day at all.” — Martha Beck, author of Expecting Adam and Finding Your Own North Star “Someone Will Be with You Shortly is a delectable blend of wit, whimsy, pith, and poignancy. If […]iTunes Store
- Win or Learn - John KavanaghConor McGregor's trainer tells the amazing story of his long road to success in the world's fastest-growing sport Growing up in Dublin, John Kavanagh was a skinny lad who was frequently bullied. As a young man, after suffering a bad beating when he intervened to help a woman who was being attacked, he decided he […]iTunes Store
- A Little Thing Called Life - Linda ThompsonAward-winning songwriter Linda Thompson breaks her silence, sharing the extraordinary story of her life, career, and epic romances with two of the most celebrated, yet enigmatic, modern American superstars—Elvis Presley and Bruce Jenner For the last forty years, award-winning songwriter Linda Thompson has quietly led one of the most remarkable lives in show business. The […]iTunes Store
- My Story - Elizabeth Smart & Chris StewartFor the first time, ten years after her abduction from her Salt Lake City bedroom, Elizabeth Smart reveals how she survived and the secret to forging a new life in the wake of a brutal crime On June 5, 2002, fourteen-year-old Elizabeth Smart, the daughter of a close-knit Mormon family, was taken from her home in […]iTunes Store
- It's Not Okay - Andi DorfmanAndi Dorfman, the beloved finalist of season eighteen of The Bachelor who infamously rejected Juan Pablo and went on to star on season ten of The Bachelorette, dishes about what it’s like to live out a love story—and its collapse—in front of the cameras, offering hard-won advice for moving on after a break-up, public or […]iTunes Store
- Night - Elie Wiesel & Marion WieselA New Translation From The French By Marion Wiesel Night is Elie Wiesel's masterpiece, a candid, horrific, and deeply poignant autobiographical account of his survival as a teenager in the Nazi death camps. This new translation by Marion Wiesel, Elie's wife and frequent translator, presents this seminal memoir in the language and spirit truest to […]iTunes Store
- Trump Revealed - Michael Kranish & Marc FisherA comprehensive biography of Donald Trump, the Republican front-runner in the presidential election campaign. Trump Revealed will be reported by a team of award-winning Washington Post journalists and co-authored by investigative political reporter Michael Kranish and senior editor Marc Fisher. Trump Revealed will offer the most thorough and wide-ranging examination of Donald Trump’s public and […]iTunes Store
- You'll Grow Out of It - Jessi KleinINSTANT NEW YORK TIMES AND USA TODAY BESTSELLER! YOU'LL GROW OUT OF IT hilariously, and candidly, explores the journey of the twenty-first century woman. As both a tomboy and a late bloomer, comedian Jessi Klein grew up feeling more like an outsider than a participant in the rites of modern femininity. In YOU'LL GROW OUT […]iTunes Store
- When Breath Becomes Air - Paul Kalanithi & Abraham Verghese#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • For readers of Atul Gawande, Andrew Solomon, and Anne Lamott, this inspiring, exquisitely observed memoir finds hope and beauty in the face of insurmountable odds as an idealistic young neurosurgeon attempts to answer the question What makes a life worth living? At the age of thirty-six, on the verge […]iTunes Store
- The Lincolns - Daniel Mark EpsteinThe first full-length portrait of the marriage of Abraham and Mary Todd Lincoln in more than fifty years, The Lincolns is a fascinating new work of American history by Daniel Mark Epstein, an award-winning biographer and poet known for his passionate understanding of the Civil War period. Although the private lives of political couples have […]iTunes Store
- Gandhi & Churchill - Arthur HermanIn this fascinating and meticulously researched book, bestselling historian Arthur Herman sheds new light on two of the most universally recognizable icons of the twentieth century, and reveals how their forty-year rivalry sealed the fate of India and the British Empire. They were born worlds apart: Winston Churchill to Britain’s most glamorous aristocratic family, Mohandas […]iTunes Store
- The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo - Amy Schumer“Amy’s got your back. She’s in your corner. She’s an honesty bomb. And she’s coming for you. ” —Actress Tilda Swinton and Trainwreck co-star The Emmy Award-winning comedian, actress, writer, and star of Inside Amy Schumer and the acclaimed film Trainwreck has taken the entertainment world by storm with her winning blend of smart, satirical […]iTunes Store
- Shoe Dog - Phil KnightIn this candid and riveting memoir, for the first time ever, Nike founder and board chairman Phil Knight shares the inside story of the company’s early days as an intrepid start-up and its evolution into one of the world’s most iconic, game-changing, and profitable brands. Young, searching, fresh out of business school, Phil Knight borrowed […]iTunes Store
- Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER | NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNER | NAACP IMAGE AWARD WINNER | PULITZER PRIZE FINALIST | NATIONAL BOOK CRITICS CIRCLE AWARD FINALIST | NAMED ONE OF THE TEN BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY The New York Times Book Review • O: The Oprah Magazine • The Washington Post • People • […]iTunes Store
- Kabul Beauty School - Deborah Rodriguez & Kristin OhlsonSoon after the fall of the Taliban, in 2001, Deborah Rodriguez went to Afghanistan as part of a group offering humanitarian aid to this war-torn nation. Surrounded by men and women whose skills–as doctors, nurses, and therapists–seemed eminently more practical than her own, Rodriguez, a hairdresser and mother of two from Michigan, despaired of being […]iTunes Store
- The Glass Castle - Jeannette WallsMORE THAN SEVEN YEARS ON THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER LIST The first book by the beloved author of the new novel The Silver Star , the extraordinary, one-of-a-kind, “nothing short of spectacular” ( Entertainment Weekly ) memoir from one of the world’s most gifted storytellers. The Glass Castle is a remarkable memoir of resilience […]iTunes Store
- Dying to Be Me - Anita MoorjaniIn this truly inspirational memoir, Anita Moorjani relates how, after fighting cancer for almost four years, her body-overwhelmed by the malignant cells spreading throughout her system-began shutting down. As her organs failed, she entered into an extraordinary near-death experience where she realized her inherent worth . . . and the actual cause of her disease. […]iTunes Store
- Living with No Excuses - Noah GallowayMilitary hero and beloved Dancing with the Stars alum Noah Galloway shares his life story, and how losing his arm and leg in combat forced him to relearn how to live--and live to the fullest. Inspirational, humorous, and thought provoking, Noah Galloway's LIVING WITH NO EXCUSES sheds light on his upbringing in rural Alabama, his […]iTunes Store
- Alexander Hamilton - Ron ChernowA New York Times Bestseller, and the inspiration for the hit Broadway musical Hamilton ! Pulitzer Prize-winning author Ron Chernow presents a landmark biography of Alexander Hamilton, the Founding Father who galvanized, inspired, scandalized, and shaped the newborn nation. In the first full-length biography of Alexander Hamilton in decades, Ron Chernow tells the riveting story […]iTunes Store
- Sully - Captain Chesley B. Sullenberger, III & Jeffrey Zaslow
- Family Tree - Susan WiggsFrom the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes a powerful, emotionally complex story of love, loss, the pain of the past—and the promise of the future. Sometimes the greatest dream starts with the smallest element. A single cell, joining with another. And then dividing. And just like that, the world changes. Annie Harlow knows […]iTunes Store
- The Girl on the Train - Paula HawkinsA debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives. Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on […]iTunes Store
- Truly Madly Guilty - Liane Moriarty“Here’s the best news you’ve heard all year: Not a single page disappoints....The only difficulty with Truly Madly Guilty ? Putting it down." — Miami Herald “Captivating, suspenseful…tantalizing.” — People Magazine The new novel from Liane Moriarty, the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Husband’s Secret, Big Little Lies, and What Alice Forgot […]iTunes Store
- Smooth Operator - Stuart Woods & Parnell HallFrom #1 bestselling author Stuart Woods comes an extraordinary new series starring an old fan favorite: Teddy Fay. When President Kate Lee calls Stone Barrington to Washington on an urgent matter, it’s soon clear that a potentially disastrous situation requires the kind of help more delicate than even he can provide . . . and […]iTunes Store
- The Underground Railroad (Oprah's Book Club) - Colson WhiteheadThe Newest Oprah Book Club 2016 Selection #1 New York Times Bestseller From prize-winning, bestselling author Colson Whitehead, a magnificent tour de force chronicling a young slave's adventures as she makes a desperate bid for freedom in the antebellum South Cora is a slave on a cotton plantation in Georgia. Life is hell for […]iTunes Store
- Family Tree - Susan Wiggs
- Damaged - Lisa Scottoline“Scottoline writes riveting thrillers that keep me up all night, with plots that twist and turn.” –Harlan Coben One boy. One lawyer. One chance for justice. Ten-year-old Patrick O'Brien is a natural target at school. Shy, dyslexic, and small for his age, he tries to hide his first-grade reading level from everyone: from his classmates, […]iTunes Store
- The Memory Box - Eva Lesko NatielloA psychological thriller with twists & turns until the last page. WHAT IF YOU GOOGLED YOURSELF AND DISCOVERED SOMETHING SHOCKING? In this gripping page-turner suspense, Caroline Thompson Googles herself and discovers the shocking details of a past she doesn't remember. HOUSTON WRITERS GUILD Manuscript AWARD WINNER In this best seller suspense thriller, a group of […]iTunes Store
- Home - Harlan CobenTen years after the high-profile kidnapping of two young boys, only one returns home in Harlan Coben’s gripping thriller. A decade ago, kidnappers grabbed two boys from wealthy families and demanded ransom, then went silent. No trace of the boys ever surfaced. For ten years their families have been left with nothing but painful memories […]iTunes Store
- Behind Closed Doors - B A ParisTHE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING DEBUT PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER YOU CAN'T MISS! The perfect marriage? Or the perfect lie? “A hair-raising debut, both unsettling and addictive...A chilling thriller that will keep you reading long into the night.” —Mary Kubica, New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of The Good Girl “ This is one readers […]iTunes Store
- Scorpion Strike - John J. NanceTwo air force pilots race to stop an Iraqi bioweapon in this thriller filled with “white-knuckle flight scenes” from a New York Times –bestselling author ( Kirkus Reviews ). A scientist charged by Saddam Hussein with pioneering a horrific breakthrough in biological warfare, Shakir Abbas defects at the American embassy to warn the world […]iTunes Store
- Sting - Sandra Brown#1 New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Sandra Brown jolts the reader from the first page of this heart-pounding story of corruption, treachery, and ceaseless deception . . . where nothing is what it seems and every truth brought to light exposes a darker lie. When Jordie Bennet and Shaw Kinnard lock eyes […]iTunes Store
- The Stopped Heart - Julie Myerson“Bloody brilliant.”—Paula Hawkins, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Girl on the Train Internationally bestselling author Julie Myerson’s beautifully written, yet deeply chilling, novel of psychological suspense explores the tragedies—past and present—haunting a picturesque country cottage. Mary Coles and her husband, Graham, have just moved to a cottage on the edge of a […]iTunes Store
- Bullseye - James PattersonCaught in the crosshairs of a deadly standoff, Detective Michael Bennett must kill...or be killed. Snow blankets the avenues of Manhattan's exclusive Upper West Side. The storm is the perfect cover for a fashionable, highly trained team of lethal assassins as they prowl the streets, hunting their prey. But their first hit is simply target […]iTunes Store
- Night School - Lee ChildDiscover the thriller series that The New York Times calls “utterly addictive.” After eleven straight global #1 bestsellers, Lee Child sends readers back to school with the most explosive Jack Reacher novel yet. It’s 1996, and Reacher is still in the army. In the morning they give him a medal, and in the afternoon […]iTunes Store
- Trap Line - Carl HiaasenA Key West fishing captain takes on Florida’s drug lords in this crime novel from the New York Times –bestselling author of Bad Monkey . Though he is one of Key West’s most skilled fishing captains, Breeze Albury barely ekes out a living on the meager earnings of his trade. Meanwhile, Cuban and Colombian drug […]iTunes Store
- The Couple Next Door - Shari Lapeña“I read this novel at one sitting, absolutely riveted by the storyline. The suspense was beautifully rendered and unrelenting!” —Sue Grafton, New York Times bestselling author of X “Meticulously crafted and razor-sharp. THE COUPLE NEXT DOOR lingers long after you turn the final page.”—Harlan Coben, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Fool Me Once […]iTunes Store
- Surrender, New York - Caleb CarrA New York Times Editors’ Choice • “Imaginative and fulfilling . . . an addictive contemporary crime procedural.”—Michael Connelly, The New York Times Book Review Caleb Carr, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness, returns with a contemporary, edge-of-your-seat thriller featuring the brilliant but unconventional criminal psychologist Dr. Trajan […]iTunes Store
- The Firm - John GrishamWhen Mitch McDeere signed on with Bendini, Lambert & Locke of Memphis, he thought that he and his beautiful wife, Abby, were on their way. The firm leased him a BMW, paid off his school loans, arranged a mortgage, and hired the McDeeres a decorator. Mitch should have remembered what his brother Ray–doing fifteen years […]iTunes Store
- The Black Widow - Daniel SilvaInstant #1 New York Times Bestseller “Fascinating, suspenseful, and bated-breath exciting…. Silva proves once again that he can rework familiar genre material and bring it to new life.” — Publishers Weekly, starred review “Silva builds suspense like a symphony conductor.... A winner on all fronts.” — Booklist, starred review Bestselling author Daniel Silva delivers another spellbinding international […]iTunes Store
- The One Man - Andrew Gross“As moving as it is gripping. A winner on all fronts.”— Booklist (starred review) “Heart-pounding…This is Gross’s best work yet, with his heart and soul imprinted on every page.”— Kirkus Reviews (starred review) Poland. 1944. Alfred Mendl and his family are brought on a crowded train to a Nazi concentration camp after being caught trying […]iTunes Store
- Natchez Burning - Greg IlesFrom #1 New York Times bestselling author Greg Iles comes the first novel in his Natchez Burning trilogy—which also includes The Bone Tree and the upcoming Mississippi Blood—an epic trilogy that interweaves crimes, lies, and secrets past and present in a mesmerizing thriller featuring Southern lawyer and former prosecutor Penn Cage. Raised in the southern […]iTunes Store
- The Whistler - John GrishamFrom John Grisham, America’s #1 bestselling author, comes the most electrifying novel of the year, a high-stakes thrill ride through the darkest corners of the Sunshine State. We expect our judges to be honest and wise. Their integrity and impartiality are the bedrock of the entire judicial system. We trust them to ensure fair trials, […]iTunes Store
- Curious Minds - Janet Evanovich & Phoef SuttonJanet Evanovich, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Stephanie Plum series, teams up with Emmy-winning writer Phoef Sutton for a brand-new series of mysteries featuring Emerson Knight and Riley Moon, a dynamic duo with instant and undeniable chemistry. Emerson Knight is introverted, eccentric, and has little to no sense of social etiquette. Good […]iTunes Store
- No Man's Land - David BaldacciSpecial Agent John Puller, combat veteran and the army's most tenacious investigator, is back in this action-packed thriller from worldwide #1 bestselling author David Baldacci. NO MAN'S LAND Two men. Thirty years. John Puller's mother, Jackie, vanished thirty years ago from Fort Monroe, Virginia, when Puller was just a boy. Paul Rogers has been in […]iTunes Store
- Before the Fall - Noah HawleyNew York Times Bestseller From the Emmy, PEN, Peabody, Critics' Choice, and Golden Globe Award-winning creator of the TV show Fargo comes the thriller of the year. On a foggy summer night, eleven people--ten privileged, one down-on-his-luck painter--depart Martha's Vineyard on a private jet headed for New York. Sixteen minutes later, the unthinkable happens: the […]iTunes Store
- Damaged - Lisa Scottoline